Maintaining cash supplies at branches and in cash machines involves significant costs. There must be proper planning to make sure branches do not run out of cash or move inadequate amounts to other parts of the network.
AIS has developed the tool Prefect®, an automatic cash forecasting and transport optimisation system. It calculates the amount of cash to be sent to each branch based on the following:
- The historical pattern of flows and reserve balances.
- The financial costs.
- Costs of transport and associated handling.
- Exceptional cash forecasts.
- Safety and reputation margins established.
- An estimate of the daily needs.
- An estimate of the probability of stock breakdowns.
- Optimising the amounts transported.